Thursday, February 7, 2013

CAN WE TALK ABOUT...VALENTINE'S DAY?
C'mon. You know you love it. It doesn't matter how much the commercialization bothers you, the hearts, and flowers, and candies, and lovey-dovey, gushy-gushy get to all of us. Who hasn't wished in their deepest, darkest heart that, even just once, they would be someone's "be-all, end-all, have to have you right now"?, NO ONE, that's who!

As a reader, I read everything from sci fi, to horror, to classics, to thrillers, to serious literature, but as a writer... not so much. For whatever reason, my brain chooses to take all of that hardcore reading, synthesize it, and produce people-stories, most of them dealing with relationships between friends, family, and men and women. I guess I think those are the most important things in life. Not high drama. Not intrigue. Not face eating zombies, even (though you know how much I love those). It's how we relate to each other, with all of our faults and foibles, that determines how joyful our lives ultimately turn out.

With that in mind, here are a few movies I absolutely love. Movies that deal with real love, real life, and real happiness. A couple are well known, others not so much:

1) The Philadelphia Story: Yeah, they're rich, but they're also very human. James Stewart, Cary Grant, and Katherine Hepburn learn a lot about themselves and each other, and move from fantasy love to reality so beautifully.


2) The Last Kiss: Evey relationship rings true in this movie, from the stressed parents of a young child, to the older couple facing marital boredom, to the friends that don't want to grow up. The main character's ambivalence about becoming a father and settling down is so well done, and the ending is perfectly realistically hopeful. One of my favorite movies period.


3) Return To Me: Bob's beloved wife dies in a tragic car crash. In the same hospital, Grace is dying from heart disease. One rescued heart and a few months later, Bob and Grace meet. This is a sweet, funny, lovely story.


4) Conversations With Other Women: Two people meet and flirt at a wedding. As the movie goes on, it becomes clear that they know each other better than we thought at the beginning. This one had a more melancholy ending than I usually like in a romantic movie, but damn the relationship feels real!


5) Moulin Rouge! Ewan McGregor. Enough said


6) Becoming Jane A fictionalization of the life of Jane Austen. Sort of tragic, very romantic, James McAvoy. Again, enough said-lol.


Whatever romantic movies you love, enjoy!

For the Love Is In The Air blog hop, I'm rafflecoptering a digital copy of my own book, Cocktails & Dreams! Take a chance on love with Nick and Jena--you won't regret it!



a Rafflecopter giveaway

PSST!! LOOK AT WHAT'S HAPPENING NEXT WEEK! WIN A KINDLE FROM OMNIFIC, FULL OF GREAT TITLES! 

  

22 comments:

  1. Moulin Rouge. Loved that film too. And I love the cover of your book!!Even after 38 years of marriage, Lovely man and I still send each other cards!!Romance should never die. Never

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're at 23 married this year, and I agree completely.

      Delete
  2. Hmm, I better put these movies on my 'to view' list. Thanks.
    Feather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Not too gushy, but good, solid, real-people films :)

      Delete
  3. Great list! My favorite heart-wrenching movie is Pride & Prejudice, the version with Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen. I think I've seen it 12 or 13 times, and it just never gets old. I'd even say it's better than the book, if it weren't for Austen's excellent voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so ridiculously in love with the BBC version that I've never chanced the Knightly version. Time I remedied that! Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Great list. Moulin Rouge is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How could it NOT be? The songs, the romance, and Ewan *sigh*.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Moulin Rouge *dreamy sigh* And Becoming Jane *again with the dreamy sigh* Oh how I love my Scottish boys :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! If I ever went on my dream Scottish/Irish vacay, it might end i divorce-lol

      Delete
  7. I've listened to Ewan McGregor SO many times today. "Myyyy gift is my sooooong..."

    Becoming Jane is on my list and now I'm adding The Last Kiss too. Thanks for the movie tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't regret it. SUCH a realistic romance!

      Delete
  8. The Hills have Eyes. I hate that movie it freaks me OUT..... Scary and I LOVE horror movies and books but that one...I just can't watch.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I'm not easily creeped out, but that one did it for me.

      Delete
  9. I love the classic scary movies...
    The Shining
    Halloween
    Friday the 13th
    but most of all I always liked anything Vincent Price did in scary movies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever seen his Dr. Phibes movies? *shudder* CREEPED ME OUT!

      Delete
  10. I haven't watched scary movies since I was a kid; so I will be shameful and say Halloween; it is the only one I can think of. LOL!
    Thank you for the contest!
    bluebirdsub24 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome!Do you have a favorite romantic movie?

      Delete
  11. I read this book called "The HIstorian" that gave me the creeps. I try to stay away from scary stuff.

    mestith (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not a scary movie girl, but there is something about Amittyville Horror that just draws me in.
    planterofhope at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you like the Ryan Reynolds version or the original?

    ReplyDelete