Monday, November 5, 2012

...SCARY CHALLENGES?

So there I was, minding my own business and...

BAM!

I'm hit by a challenge from the wonderful Nicki Elson (if you're and '80s baby or even one who just likes that era, you're missing out if you haven't read her book Three Daves). Here's what she wrote:

Next up, I've been tagged by Jennifer Lane in U Got the Look (tell me you're not  singing THIS in your head right now). This is how it works: take your current manuscript, search for the word “look,” and post the surrounding paragraphs. Lastly, tag 5 blogging authors. This time I'm not going to flake out on the tagging.  I hereby tag the following 5 bloggers with U Got the Look:


And I was one. After my hyperventilation (I've NEVER publicly posted a WIP), I started thinking it might be fun! So without further ado, my sneak preview from the first chapter of the new book:


Craning her neck for a better view, Sarah whistled beneath her breath as he bent to retrieve a dropped spoon. “Doesn’t look much like a baby from where I’m sitting.” She leaned forward and pointed at Abby. “You’re only thirty-six, and he has to be at least twenty-one to be serving drinks, which means -”

“Which means that I was playing tonsil hockey with my first boyfriend when Mr. Sexy Waiter Guy was in diapers.  No.  Thanks.  Abby flipped an ice cube into her mouth and crunched it as Sarah laughed again. “I’m tragically old. And uninteresting. Ask Eric.”

Sarah rubbed her hands together. “Now we’re getting into it. What exactly did he say?”

Abby closed her eyes. “I don’t want to talk about it.”
“Bullshit. You want to tell Auntie Sarah everything, remember? There’s no way mousy little Eric told you that you’re tragically old. Christ, he’s pushing forty himself. It couldn’t have been that bad.”

Abby took a deep breath and let it out in a rush.  “Sar, the most boring man on the Eastern Seaboard said  It’s not you, it’s me’ to me.” She stared at her friend.

Sarah gasped and gestured wildly for the cute waiter to bring two more drinks. “It’s that bad,” Sarah said, clasping Abby's hand sympathetically.  “I’m sorry he broke your heart.”

Abby rolled her eyes. “Right. Like Eric would be capable of that.”

Sarah tried a shocked face and failed miserably, giving up with a laugh as she dropped her friend’s hand and leaned back in the booth. “I just thought since you’ve been seeing each other for a couple of years…”

“Please.  Eric’s a nice guy, but…” Abby smiled at the waiter as he deposited two more drinks on the table. He grinned back before he walked away.

“’Nice’?  You spent two years on ‘nice’?” Sarah raised an eyebrow and Abby shrugged.  “I’m guessing in bed…?”

“Acceptable.”

“Ouch.  ‘Nice’ and ‘acceptable’. How about ‘clean’?” Sarah snickered into her drink.

Abby moaned and covered her eyes. “Oh, fuck it.  He was a date on major holidays and for the company picnic. Satisfied?” Sarah started laughing loudly, and people turned to look. “My point is, I should have been the one to end it, right? I managed to bore the most boring man on earth.  I never thought he was the perfect man, but… where is he and why haven’t I tracked him down and bagged him?”

“Ab, you know there’s only one perfect Man,” Sarah said piously. After long years of parochial school training, their Signs of the Cross were automatic and simultaneous. “I don’t think He’s taking girlfriend requests. And besides, are we talking about a man or a wildebeest?”

“Is there a difference? They’re both rare and elusive.” 


I'm hereby tagging THESE authors:

Ann Bracken
Carol Hedges
Sandra Wright

Give them a few days and then go see if they answered the challenge!






4 comments:

  1. Yay!!! I hope that wasn't too painful for you - and why have you been holding back on sharing your WIPs? That was a fantastic excerpt that definitely leaves me wanting more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! Now hope along with me that MILLIONS of people feel the same! HAHAHA! It was actually fun--I even corrected two egregious uses of 'look' that slipped by me on the first edit. I thank you (and my editor probably does, as well ;D).

      Delete
  2. Great piece! I felt like I was sitting at the table next to Sarah watching a delicious waiter. Great writing!

    Stephanie Birch
    Writer Freaks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it! This has been a very fun book to write. Now I have to finish my edits before I turn it over to the REAL editor. :D

      Delete